In order to reach the state of flourishing, i.e. our own well-being, in addition to PERMA, we can also reach for our character strengths. We are often focused on what we need to improve in ourselves, and we forget to use the strength we already have. Knowing our own strong strengths and relying on them makes it easier for us to pave the way for our own well-being. The 24-character forces stem from the 6 fundamental and universal human virtues that consistently emerge through time and culture: Wisdom, Courage, Humanity, Justice, Moderation, and Transcendence:
- Wisdom: creativity, curiosity, open mind, love of learning, perspective
- Courage: heroism, perseverance, integrity, flight
- Humanity: love, kindness, social intelligence
- Justice: social responsibility, justice, leadership ability
- Art: forgiveness, modesty, prudence, self-control
- Transcendence: recognition of beauty and excellence, gratitude, hope and optimism, humor, spirituality
Want to find out your character strengths?
The UVIA Questionnaire (Values In Action) is a simple self-assessment that lasts less than 15 minutes and provides a wealth of information to help you understand your basic characteristics and strengths. Most personality tests focus on negative and neutral traits, but the VIA questionnaire focuses on your best qualities.